Author Topic: Some coins with 19th century collector's tags  (Read 191 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Some coins with 19th century collector's tags
« on: September 19, 2024, 10:21:11 AM »
I am not really a provenance snob; but I do keep all the old tags with the coins. Here are coins that I have along with 19th century tags.

Maxentius
A.D. 309
Ӕ follis 23x26mm 6.5g
IMP C MAXENTIVS P F AVG; laureate head right.
AETERNITAS AVG N; Castor and Pollux standing facing each other, each leaning on sceptre with outer left arm and holding bridled horse, she-wolf with twins between them.
In ex. MOSTΓ
RIC VI Ostia 16

Some doubling on reverse

Ex. William C. Boyd (1840-1906) from Reverend Simpson on 16 Dec 1889

I imagine that this coin may have been a Christmas present from Reverend Simpson to William Boyd.

Boyd's collection was sold by Baldwin's in 2005; but this coin was in a group lot and not illustrated.

https://archive.org/details/auctionnumber42w00bald/page/3/mode/1up

Magnentius
A.D. 350-3
22x24mm 4.5g
DN MAGNEN-TIVS PF AVG; bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust right; A behind bust.
VICTORIAE DD NN AVG ET CAES; two Victories holding wreath inscribed with VOT V MVLT X.
In ex. SPAR
RIC VIII Arles 167

ex- Daniel Turner

This Magnentius is from the collection of Daniel Turner (1794- 1850) who was a War of 1812 veteran. At the age of 14, Turner started his Navy career. In 1813, he was promoted to Lieutenant and joined Oliver Perry’s squadron and commanded the brig Caledonia in the Battle of Lake Erie. On September 10, 1813, Turner’s suppressive fire for Perry's flagship Lawrence was so impressive and effective, that he earned a Congressional medal and a sword from the State of New York. He eventually commanded the USS Constitution in 1839 and served in the Navy until his sudden death in 1850.

https://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/crew/daniel-turner/

His collection, which included 292 Ancient Greek, Roman, medieval, and Islamic coins, stayed in his family until it was sold at auction in 2015.

Constantine I
AD 316
22x23mm 5.1gm
CONSTANTINVS P F AVG; laureate, draped and cuirassed bust seen from the rear.
MARTI CON-SERVATORI; Mars, helmeted, stg. r. leaning on reversed spear, l. resting shield on ground; T/F across fields.
In ex. PTR
RIC VI Trier 864

ex- Elberling 1867

Dr. Elberling (1797- 1873) had a very large collection of Roman coins with many rarities. He published ten articles about the rarest coins in his collection, and material from these articles was used in Henri Cohen's Roman Imperial catalogues - Description historique des monnaies frappées sous l'empire romain

"Dr. Elberling was a German army doctor who was born in 1797 in Silesia, and retired to Luxembourg. He began collecting coins in 1842, after his retirement, and he published ten articles on "The most important Roman Coins in my Collection" in a Luxembourg scientific journal, 1862-1874 (the last posthumous, and with an obituary, whence I derive these facts). He died in Dec. 1873, and his collection, comprising 775 gold coins, over 1000 Republican denarii, c. 2700 Roman imperial denarii, c. 5500 bronze coins, and c. 100 medallions in the various metals, was acquired by the Paris coin dealer Rollin & Feuardent. He particularly sought rare and unpublished coins, and it was 547 coins of this sort that he published in his articles, with 24 plates of quite accurate line drawings. Cohen, and after Cohen's death Feuardent, of course drew on Elberling's ten articles when compiling the second edition of Cohen's famous Roman imperial catalogue."

This coin (along with many others) was donated to the Academic coin cabinet of Leiden in 1867, by Dr. Elberling. The academic cabinet merged with the National coin cabinet, but the gifts and donations remained at the university; until recently, when they were reincorporated into the National Numismatic Collection in the Netherlands