Author Topic: Constantine I ROMAE AETER from London  (Read 499 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine I ROMAE AETER from London
« on: June 29, 2020, 12:14:35 PM »
I was not even close to winning this coin that just sold for $1,645 on eBay. It is in nice condition and very rare; so though disappointed in my loss, I guess I am not completely surprised.

Constantine I
A.D. 307
26mm
FL VAL CONSTANTINVS NOB C; laureate and cuirassed bust right.
ROMAE AETER; Roma seated facing, head l. in hexastyle temple, r. holding small Victory, l. holding sceptre.
in ex. PLN
RIC VI London 99

From an older topic about this issue--

“This coin is interesting because it shows some of the convoluted politics going on at the time. It was issued for Constantine and Maximian Herculius, who had formed an alliance. This type, besides indicating an alliance, is actually recognizing Maxentius in Rome, even though Constantine officially remained neutral in the fight between Maxentius and Galerius. Since Maxentius was the son of Maximian though, Constantine had to show some sort of support. Constantine even married Fausta, who was the daughter of Maximian and sister of Maxentius, thereby making Constantine the brother-in-law of Maxentius. However, this newly forged alliance would not last long and soon discord ensued resulting in the deaths of Maxentius, Maximian and years later, Fausta.”

Offline Gavin

Re: Constantine I ROMAE AETER from London
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 12:21:56 PM »
Interesting. I assume there was some kind of iconographical coordination with these types of Maxentius, beginning at about this time?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantine I ROMAE AETER from London
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 12:37:26 PM »
RIC VI says this about the London temple issue; which was issued for both Constantine and Maximianus-- "The two again share in the surprising Romae Aeter (Roma Nicephorus in temple), with its formally correct side-glance at Maxentius' consolidation of power in Rome after his revolt of October 306..." (pg 118)

the temple of Roma and Venus was damaged by fire in A.D. 306 and Maxentius restored it; which is why there was a large issue of coinage with temple reverses.