Author Topic: RIC VII Ticinum 46  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Matteo

RIC VII Ticinum 46
« on: May 25, 2015, 05:36:53 AM »
Hi :)

My name is Matteo. I have recently bought this coin in name Of Licinius from Ticinum. I have classified it as RIC VII Ticinum 46; it is the variant with the greek cross in left field. It is the first I have seen: it is rare as RIC says?

Thanks,
Matteo.

Ps: I have added this coin to my small collection of Christian symbol because someone thinks (especially in the past) tant this cross is a Christian symbol; in my opinion (and also for many other people) it could be a simple mint mark.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 05:43:58 AM by Matteo »

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: RIC VII Ticinum 46
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 11:58:27 AM »
Welcome Matteo

I would have to say this type for Licinius is as rare as RIC states, however this type for Constantine is fairly common. Perhaps because Ticinum was a Constantinian mint and this was shortly before the first civil war with Licinius, during which all minting of Licinius coins stopped. So maybe a few of these for Licinius were minted before the relationship between the two rulers became hostile and the war began.

The equilateral cross is used on other coins of this period, mainly VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP coins. On my page on Christian symbolism I say "There is a question whether these symbols actually had any Christian relation."  http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/symbols/

Offline Matteo

Re: RIC VII Ticinum 46
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 01:23:37 PM »
Hi Victor :) Thank for your answer. I know that rarity of some coin in the RIC aren't true; I'm glad to know that this coin is rare.
I have also the coin of Constantine and also the VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP: they aren't in good conditions...

I know your website and the page about Christian symbolism: I have read it several time :) In my opinion, it could be better consider these crosses without a christian meaning for some reasons:

1. Probably the first symbols are Chi-Rho and Iota-Chi in 319-320.
2. First crosses with a clear christian meaning appear during the reigns of Costantine's son, in some standards. But more significant crosses appear only during the Valentinian and Teodosian dinasty, replacing (with some exceptions) the old symbolism of Constantine's family (Chi-Rho).
3. Greek cross is an ancient and simple symbol to use as mintamark and there are other two coins with a greek cross: one under Maxentius and the other struck in London (it is difficult that these two coins were related to christianity).
4. Crosses in Ticinum can create doubts about their meaning, because in Ticinum there was an important christian community. But I think it is difficult that was the emperor to order to add these crosses. A decision of workers of the mint? I doubt it! Emperor could kill you for a cross near the Sol :D