Author Topic: Monneron coins and the controversy  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Monneron coins and the controversy
« on: April 14, 2015, 11:37:24 AM »
There is a seller on eBay France named monneron. He has been listing some LRB's again after being at the center of a huge controversy...at least as big a controversy as one might expect in the small world that is ancient coin collecting. It was a little over 10 years ago and monneron was selling many LRB's on eBay. They looked odd and had a peculiar patina. Many people claimed that these where fakes. A few people thought that they were genuine, initially I thought it might be best to see them in hand before condemning all of them. Eventually I got many examples and posted before and after pictures that showed the coins were fine when cleaned and photographed with different lighting. I have a page about these coins - http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/monneron/

At the bottom of the page is a link to the topic on FORVM. This topic is a nice example of hubris, but there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance. More than a few people were insulted (some of them are "guests" in the topic, including my old account of vic9128), some posts were deleted, including mine that said it would be nice to see them in hand before condemning them based on a picture. After getting many examples, I had no doubt the coins were genuine. I even sent one for certification to David Sear, who agreed the coin was genuine. In 2006, there was an article in the Celator about the chemical composition of some of these coins. In short, the coins tested had different alloys. Fakes would have been expected to have the same alloy, but genuine coins differ as they are made from different batches of metal, sometimes separated by years. 

Some people, though, still think that these coins are fake. Ferrando's  L’atelier monétaire d’Arles, published in 2010, has many of these coins listed as fake.

The second picture below is the campgate that I had certified.

Offline Genio popvli romani

Re: Monneron coins and the controversy
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 12:45:40 PM »
Frédéric Weber has tried to summarize the facts, studying a lot provided by Monneron himself who also provided some pictures of the two pots in which the coins were hoarded (If anybody need a part to be translated, please ask).

http://www.fredericweber.com/MONNERON/Monneron.htm

Note, Victor, that your page is linked.  ;)
ROMA CAPVT MVNDI REGIT ORBIS FRENA ROTVNDI

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 12:50:26 PM »
Note, Victor, that your page is linked.  ;)

Yes, I have a link to his page on mine also.

Offline Genio popvli romani

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 02:56:56 PM »
If anybody need a part to be translated, please ask.
I've just read the Forvm thread once again (Oh,certainty, when you hold us...) and noticed that Frédéric had already done the translation of his work.
ROMA CAPVT MVNDI REGIT ORBIS FRENA ROTVNDI

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 03:11:18 PM »
I've just read the Forvm thread once again

It is an interesting thread, but years later, some of the responses still make me a bit angry.