Author Topic: The patera on GENIO coins  (Read 58 times)

Online Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
The patera on GENIO coins
« on: October 08, 2024, 10:26:10 AM »
Most LRB collectors will be familiar with the patera, commonly seen on GENIO coins.

The reverse shows GENIO sacrificing out of a patera over an altar. GENIO is probably pouring out a bit of wine. The patera is shown as a flat, circular bowl.

Below is a fancy patera with gold coins around the border. It is the Patera of Rennes and is displayed in Paris at the National Library of France. On a side note, if someone today did this to a bunch of gold coins, collectors would be outraged by the desecration of the coins; but since it was done in ancient times it is artwork.  :D

Anyway, I made this topic because I just saw this object which is described as a patera with a handle; though I am not sure why they are confident it is actually a patera.

LARGE ROMAN BRONZE PATERA WITH HANDLE
Ca. AD 100 - 300 A Roman cast-bronze patera with an accompanying handle projecting from one side. The body of the vessel is characteristically shallow, with wide curved walls, a flat base and a thick rim with small lips hanging over both sides. The flat handle boasts a large fluted groove along the length. The patera has layers of lustrous green and brown patina.
Size: 460mm x 245mm; Weight: 870g