Author Topic: Second Edition of London Mint of Constantius and Constantine now available!  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
I saw this post from Lee on another site--

"Now available on the Spink website, the long awaited 2nd edition of LMCC.

Hardback, jacketed, 297 x 210mm, 360 pages, £75.

This new edition of LMCC remains the comprehensive catalogue and survey of the coinage of the London mint from AD 296, when Constantius I recaptured Britain from the usurper, Allectus, to its closure in AD 325 when his son and successor, Constantine I, began to shift his power base to the East.  LMCC II continues the authors' earlier expansion and revision of the London portions of Volumes VI and VII of The Roman Imperial Coinage by incorporating new types discovered since 2015 and expanding the census tables based on the population totals from several major new hoards.  As Sam Moorhead notes in his foreword to this second edition, this catalogue is now recognised as the standard reference work on the London mint coins of this period and is used by both the British Museum and the Portable Antiquities Scheme when cataloguing these coins."

https://spinkbooks.com/products/the-london-mint-of-constantius-and-constantine-second-edition-by-hubert-j-cloke-and-lee-toone-with-adrian-b-marsden?_pos=1&_sid=2583d3826&_ss=r

I am looking forward to my copy; but I am not looking forward to changing all my coin descriptions!

Offline Lech Stępniewski

I am looking forward to my copy

After receiving, please, let me know if there are coins (and approximately how many) which are not listed on my "Not in RIC". And I hope that at least some most interesting you will post here.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Sure, I will post them as I find them. Hopefully it will be easy to see which are new listings.

Lee had this to say--

"Regarding RIC VI and VII, it covers the same. The London mint through those periods.

It supplements parts 6-10 but probably replaces parts 1-5 where the impact of new hoard discoveries has greatly increased our knowledge. Lots of new coin types throughout and I believe it is an essential upgrade if you are seriously interested in the Tetrarchic London mint."