Author Topic: Peculia Patina 2021  (Read 597 times)

Offline Heliodromus

Peculia Patina 2021
« on: February 16, 2021, 02:00:51 PM »
My "Peculia Patina" topic on FORVM is now 17 years old (!!) and still rates at the 9th most viewed thread there of all time !

Kudos to you for being on the right side of the debate from the beginning. I initially thought they were likely modern, but have seen the error of my ways.

What reminded me of this is that monneron is back on eBay (maybe he never left?) with a few of the old greenies, such as those attached.

Nice coins, with very reasonable buy-it-now prices, but only shipping to Europe, otherwise I might have bought these two.

Seems Trier was looking to Arles for issue mark inspiration at the time, assuming these wreath/palm victory symbols arn't references to an actual victory.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Peculia Patina 2021
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 04:07:30 PM »
I still have one of the monneron coins, but I cleaned the green.

That topic is still a bit of a sore spot with me, because Joe deleted some of my posts in defense of the coins...actually part of the reason I eventually stopped posting there.

I made a page with some of the before and after pictures.

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/monneron/

this is also my only criticism of Ferrando's book on Arles coinage-- he has a lot of these coins listed as fake.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 04:33:21 PM »
Yeah, FORVM is an interesting place ... There was a nice community there back in the day, but most seem to have either disappeared or migrated to CoinTalk.

That was certainly an interesting hoard through... seemed to have more than it's fair share of interesting types, although that perception might be partly just the order monneron chose to list them in. I never went back to do retrospective of the entire group. At one point I had all the pictures, but seem to have deleted them.

Speaking of interesting hoards, how about the silvered London/etc coins from last year (incl. the ROMAE AETER) .. quite a few rarities in there, and unusual to see so much silvering on coins originating from damp old England !

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 04:55:50 PM »
how about the silvered London/etc coins from last year (incl. the ROMAE AETER) .. quite a few rarities in there, and unusual to see so much silvering on coins originating from damp old England !

I don't remember them...were they in an auction?

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 05:12:03 PM »
On eBay .. total of 70 or so coins dribbled out between May and July. Mostly early Constantinian London/Trier/Lyons mints, mostly silvered. Seller claimed no knowledge of them being a hoard, but the coins said otherwise!

You must have noticed them ?!

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 05:12:46 PM »
Oh, yes...I bid on a lot of them. I made a topic on the FORTVNAE --

https://www.lateromanbronzecoinforum.com/index.php/topic,1853.msg5054.html#msg5054

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 05:30:05 PM »
I don't know when the iconography of the romanized Fortuna appeared, but on that coin she's more like a throwback roman provincial Tyche depiction.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 05:44:06 PM »

it's an interesting coin...I don't remember how high I bid on it, but it wasn't enough.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 05:47:07 PM »
That's about how much I bid on the ROMAE AETER  :'(

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 06:50:40 PM »

About a third of the way there. I remember watching that coin, but I don't remember what I bid or would have bid...it wasn't close.