Author Topic: Diocletian abdication issue looks like Day of the Dead celebration  (Read 470 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins

When I saw this coin I immediately thought of the Day of the Dead holiday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead

Diocletian
A.D. 305- 306
27x29mm      9.6g
D N DIOCLETIANO BAEATISSIMO SEN AVG; Laureate and mantled bust r., holding olive-branch and mappa.
PROVIDENTIA DEORVM QVIES AVGG; Providentia standing r., extending hand to Quies standing l., holding branch and leaning on scepter; S/F across fields, E in center.
In ex. •SM•SD•
RIC VI Serdica 14a

Offline Heliodromus

Re: Diocletian abdication issue looks like Day of the Dead celebration
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 01:48:25 PM »
When I found my VLPP XP helmet, on a Mexican e-commerce site, it had to survive the dreaded Correos de Mexico (coin flip chance of arrival) to get here ...

These were the stamps on the package.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 02:48:12 PM »

Congrats on the safe arrival and awesome coin...I am always a bit concerned about shipping to Mexico; though I have several times with no problems.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 09:32:37 AM »
Thanks, Victor.

If you google for correo de mexico, or related terms, you'll find all sorts of horror stories, but perhaps some of this is outdated. I gather it has improved a little in recent years. Still horribly inefficient at best though. I bought this coin a couple of years ago (pre-covid), coming from Monclova, 150mi from the US border, and it still took 3 weeks to get to the border... Didn't help that the "registered mail" receipt was hand written and had an invalid tracking number (invalid check digit).