Author Topic: Decentius Chi-Rho AE1  (Read 541 times)

Offline seth

Decentius Chi-Rho AE1
« on: July 27, 2020, 06:54:18 PM »
This is an interesting coin:

DECENTIUS as CAESAR (351-353)
AE1 28x25mm 6.61g copper maiorina/double maiorina(?), minted at Trier, third series, cca. 353.
DN DECENTI - VS FORT CAES; bare-headed draped cuirassed bust r.
SALVS DD NN AVG ET CAES; large Chi-Rho flanked by A and W.
TRS
RIC VIII Trier 319/326

This specimen with large 28mm dies (of a double-maiorina?) but a weight lower, specific to the single maiorina standard of the early 350s seems to be an intermediary type between RIC 319 and 326. It is very possible that this was an intended large coin on a thinner flan, hence the 28mm dies with the weight of the 24mm dies. It was probably minted in the first half of 353, before the revolt of Poemenius ruled Decentius out of Trier.

Holed and filled(?) perhaps for further circulation after the holing(?).

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Decentius Chi-Rho AE1
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 07:31:47 PM »
I think there was not much concern about the individual weights of these coins. The biggest concern was that you got the right number of coins per pound. I had three Magnentius examples of this mintmark (Trier 320) and the weights were all different, though sizes were close. EX 1-- 25mm   5.3gm EX 2-- 23mm 7.3gm and EX 3--  25x26mm   9.1gm      So almost 4 gram difference between coins 1 and 3 though they were almost identical size.

the fourth coin below is Trier 323 -- 23mm   6.6gm

Offline seth

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 07:37:43 PM »
It's a shame that buying from the US has become such a hassle the last few years, I would've liked coin #3. What a nice looking spec.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 08:09:12 PM »

About half my sales are international; but currently shipping times are very slow...as long as 4-5 weeks.

Offline seth

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 02:15:00 AM »
The waiting wouldn't be much of an issue unlike the fact that US envelopes are now sent through mandatory customs and that means a lot of hassle, strange bureaucracy (bureaucracy is the chief product in Europe these days) and a 24% surcharge oftentimes applied arbitrarily, sometimes to made-up prices.

I was hoping for awhile that a trade deal between the US and EU would come through but with this situation now I have lost all hope.